10 pesos – Architecture and Monuments – Havana
Series: Cuba – Ibero-American Series
The obverse of the coin features the ramparts of the city of Havana, work having been commenced in 1674 and brought to completion under the governorship of Juan Francisco Güemes in 1740. Seventy-five thousand cubic metres of ashlar masonry were used in its construction, an astronomical amount for those times, and the cost escalated to three million pesos. Fragments of the ramparts still stand today as evidence of the Island's urban history.